Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ricotta Pancakes






Ok, pancake lovers.  Get ready to have your world shaken.  As is common on this blog, I don't always originate the things I blog about, I just look to share things I think rock with readers.  And ricotta pancakes are one of those things.

I first saw and tried a recipe from the most recent cookbook from The Inn at Little Washington.  The finished dish calls for fresh figs, fig syrup and walnuts, among other things.  But, the core recipe is a solid ratio of the normal things you'll find: flour, leavener, a touch of salt, eggs and dairy.  Where you get a little original is in what kind of flours you use.  Or farm-fresh eggs, versus store bought.  Or, in this case, ricotta cheese instead of milk. 

The curds of the cheese provide an extra boost to the fluff-factor, and of course, depending on the fat-content of your ricotta, an extra degree of richness can be expected when using whole milk ricotta. 

Ruffles and flourishes can be added by putting in a little lemon zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon or other ingredients I refer to as "jewels".  These are the little touches that take a dish from ordinary to extraordinary.  And they make it uniquely yours. 


Grab some real maple syrup, use some whole butter, and, as pictured, cook up a nice, thick piece of slab bacon.  You're ready to rock. 

If you want a recipe, just follow your favorite pancake recipe and adjust the ingredients as directed above.  If this is too free-form for you, leave me a comment or drop me an email and I'll write you one.

ENJOY!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails